Saturday, April 11

Busy Saturday!

It's past 9:30 p.m., and I am just winding down from the day.

This morning, even before breakfast, I fed Jazz and then went to work on expanding her pasture to the southern part of the property, where the grass is starting to sprout and green up. She hesitated a little about crossing the ditch, but she knew what was on the other side and got over her anxiety quickly. You should have seen her running for pleasure, all around that new space. I think she was just trying to avoid getting a halter and lead rope put on her, but she also looked like she was having a good time.

After some breakfast, I put a pot of water with a ham bone in it on the stove to simmer, in preparation for some soup. Ashley had a play-a-thon to be at, all day in Colebrook and Todd had to have one more ride, so Hannah and I had the day to ourselves ... until she took off for lunch with Uncle. Before her lunch date, she was industriously creating mud-food ... pies, cakes, steak, hamburgers, meatballs. All lovely and delicious!

Anyway, I went back outside after breakfast, and went to work on tidying up the barn, as the water problem was significantly subsiding, so both people and horse could enjoy the portions of the barn/stall that I had blocked off, due to water and ice (inside ... what a pain!). Jazz has been used to half a stall for so long now, that the whole thing available again probably had her wondering.

Bill, one of Todd's coworkers, stopped in on his way home from fishing to take a look at this horse he'd been hearing about (and sharing tack, tips and supplies ... a public Thank you to Bill!), so we visited for a little bit.

When my barn was tidy, I went back inside and tended the soup pot (removed the bone and added the peas & barley stuff). While that was cooking, I believe I went back out and snapped pictures of Jazz lying in the sun, enjoying the lovely spring day.

She was so content during one of her rests that she let me walk up to her, and sit right down beside her. I scratched her ears and forehead gently, and she just relished the sunshine and attention.

The soup was done, so I had to go in taste-test it for lunch. It was all right. Not as good as I've done, but sustenance. Then, I did some online research about horse care and vets in the area. Wrote a detailed email to a prospect who is in Danville VT and hoping he'll reply soon.

So after a once-over with the rake, the front yard looks a lot better. The side yard still needs lots of attention, but that has to be another day. Hannah was there to help with this area of yard work, and her trusty red wagon came in handy. There were branches (and roots) to clean up from that pitiful bunch of bamboo-like junk and she hauled that away. We dug up the roots as best we could and should see a major difference. There are still piles to pick up, but things are looking nice.

Break-time meant that we needed to sample some of that fantastic mud food, magnificently presented and served ... to me in my muddy Bean boots and dirty clothes. Well, sitting on the back deck with the sun setting, I looked out over my sprouting little sea of daffodils and felt revived enough to tackle the quick raking of that area, while Hannah pulled out the larger sticks and stuff that a rake wouldn't get. We'll enjoy those flowers more, now.

Once we'd picked up for the day and fed Jazz again, we waited for a vehicle to return home so I could get down to Lancaster to do the weekend plant check. It was very nice to have company (Hannah) and we enjoyed the time to chat and savour the memories of the day. We never did get to play wiffle ball, but the wind would have made it hard, anyway. Another day.

Now, I am nodding off. Better get this posted and start working on finding a pillow!

1 comment:

Sandy@American Way Farm said...

Hey there. Just checking out your blog. Thought I'd leave a comment so you know who's been here.

It was great to meet you at the horse meeting last night. Here's hoping we can all help each other in our community. -Sandy