Saturday, December 11

2010 coming to a close

A year has passed since I posted something here. I bet no one has been looking, because no one has been asking or complaining. So, I'm not sure I want to spend much time on it. But, I wondered if I could manage to revive the poor Blog, and thought tonight might be the start.

Things I remember about the year ...

January - February - March - April: Um, I am going to have to look for some documented evidence of our days ... I just can't pull any specific memories from this far back, at this time. There must have been snowmobiling and sledding ... then, lots of mud. When did I build that new horse stall inside our garage? Seems like it has been there for a long time. Need it for when the spring thaw creates a river & pond in Jazz's barn stall. It's better if she uses the barn stall, when she can, but its not healthy or practical, when the water can't be diverted. Hannah got some achievement awards from school. I do have pictures of these, somewhere. She is our little Einstein!

May: Sammi's not doing so well. Vet found a 10# splenic tumor and removed it. He's much better, but has to be careful. Our niece, Ariel, came from WI to stay with us for a while. She had hopes of getting a part-time job and starting college. Convention preps on the weekends!

June: Convention! Summer vacation for Hannah. Ashley is holding down a job or two. We boarded Sammi at the vet's where they did his surgery, so he could be well cared for and monitored. I don't think it went so well ... he's started to show signs of discomfort, again. Trying to give him extra TLC.

July: Sammi couldn't hold on any longer. We miss him. He's buried on the hill beyond the horse pasture. More convention preps. Weekend days with Dale & Laura ... did we do any overnights, this year? The way we come and go, it's as though no amount of time really passes between our visits. I like it that way.

August: Convention! An 11-day vacation at "the farm." Hannah spent some days in Maine with the Mousseau families. Brian, Amy, Kurtis & Heather brought Hannah home ... and helped finish putting up hay in the barn attic, then stayed overnight and we ate like kings and queens and for the most part, took it easy, just like family. Hannah and I met JT Pennywise (the Sweet's new puppy) and enjoyed a campfire and supper with Auntie Lynn & Uncle Spencer. Met some fun friends from Canada (Andrew & Darla, Alyssa, Mariah & Jenaya, Quindy & Bodi ... and Lilo, Lynn & Sheila) and glad for their company at our house and at their campsite. Took a brief bareback ride on Jazz. Said "goodbye" to Ariel, as she returned to WI to be with her Dad and Oma. Major furniture re-arranging, so that our porch (spare bedroom) can make the best use of the twin & full bunk bed. Hannah's moved into Ashley's room and Hannah's old room is supposed to become a spare room. It seems to continue to be Hannah's ... I think she is trying to take over the whole house!

September: Back to school for the kids. Missed Grammie & Grampa a lot, while they took a road trip to Missouri. Glad they kept in touch by email. Finally, the lawn needs some regular mowing. It's a good workout ... I do the push-mower work, while Todd trims. Of course, one of us does the riding mower work first. Oh, yes ... kittens! Sophie & Sebastien. Harvesting the garden ... enjoyed our corn, this year, very much. Broccoli, rutabagas, onions, potatos, zucchini, and buttercup squash did very nicely. Green & wax beans were good, but they always ripen when we have no time or chance to harvest and put them away.

October: Hosted a garden tractor "pull" in southern pasture. An ill-planned lunch date in Tilton worked out after all. Ashley met us for dessert and we did some shopping at the Tanger Outlets. Got home at the respectable hour of 7:45 p.m. Hannah and I squeezed in an overnight trip to Bennington, to see MAU's production of 'The Sound of Music' ... directed by Auntie with sound system design by Uncle Spencer. A trip to Benn HAS to include the complimentary "soak" which was thoroughly enjoyed. A last minute help request to pick up the lollies meant that Hannah and I could enjoy some nifty candy shoppe yummies. The 'Vermonster' was spectacular!

November: A family weekend in CT, visiting the Andress household. Fine weather helped us enjoy a pleasant fall sight-seeing trip. Lunch at Mystic Pizza ... only a 45-min wait for a table. Worth it. The salads were delightful and the pizzas, delicious. Tried to find family in the phone book, but they are either unlisted or moved away. Another weekend included Sunday dinner "at camp" and some Quiddler to take the mind off of the stresses and cares of everyday. Ashley needed something done about/with her car, if it was going to remain dependable and safe. We decided it was the best time to trade up for something with a warranty and fuel efficient. So, after some online and telephone information gathering, we car-shopped on another meet-for-supper, day-trip to Tilton ... and finagled our way into a joint car loan with Ashley for a silver Nissan Versa that suited her nicely. Stress and excitement wrapped into one activity. It was interesting -- the negotiating, planning for delivery and managing the registration and other essentials. But, now, she is good to go. And, go, she does!

December: Lots of extra hours at work for both of us ... not a lot of ambition, once home. We're learning to enjoy naps more than ever ... those bears know where it's at. A Sunday dinner at The Spa with Leighton & Judy was another pleasant diversion. Had to do some online clothes shopping for Hannah, as she has a concert next week, and must dress appropriately ... black skirt and white top. She'll look very nice, once we get her up on that stage. I hope to be able to take some pictures.


My next task will be to find some older pictures to dress up this post ... or post separately. I hope I still have some ambition.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ma'am, I DO check this thing out! I would love to see your updates so, have at it!

grammiesong said...

I had been missing your posts so glad for all the reminders of the year. We had some great times with you as well.