Saturday, November 24

Thanksgiving 2012

Recent traditions continued, with a special addition ... Nana! The night before, our girls made the pies with BOTH grandmas, this year. It was lovely to fall asleep to the aroma of baking apple pie. In the morning, everyone took advantage of having no commitments, sleeping until the next best smell wafts through the house, as I start the stuffing. That's a blend of sausage, onion and celery softly sizzling in the cast iron. Last summer, I used fresh herbs in stuffing I made and now, I will never go back to Bell's. So, the next wonderful aroma to fill the air was that of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme as I chopped each one and blended them. These did the trick ... help started arriving, although there was nothing much to do except get their own breakfasts.

Shortly, the 22# turkey was stuffed and in the oven. The next 4 hours were a very relaxed pace of food prep, visiting, snacking and rest. Somehow, this meal assembly is a smooth operation and everything comes together, right on time: candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, tiny garden peas, corn, green beans, braised pearl onions and gravy. We gathered around the table, missing family members who weren't there, gave thanks for ALL we have and enjoy, and filled our plates. Then, delightful moments of clanging silverware and no talking ... indications to the cooks that taste buds were ecstatic. We knew what was waiting for us for dessert, but still managed to eat too much, so dessert would have to wait. But, not for too long. There's more to tell, I'm sure, but I missed about 2 1/2 hours of the afternoon due to the sudden onset of a nap! Woke up to the grandmas making soup from the turkey stock so it wouldn't go to waste as it often does, when it's left to me. I tell you, though, that it must have been a very restful evening, because I remember only some joint crossword puzzle solving, knitting, crocheting, reading and occasional conversation as we relaxed in the living room and thought about how to make it all happen, just as good, the next time around.



No comments: