Tuesday, May 27
Holiday weekend news
Friday night ... GM at the community church. Only one more, this spring, then it's convention season! Saturday, as much as we wanted not to, we stayed home and did the things around the house that needed tending. I was supposed to get that nap, and I tried. Sufficient disruptions made it so that I could enjoy 30 minutes, and only several of those were sleeping. So, I was determined to get to bed early, that evening and was just taking a quick peek at my email (checking for blog comments) at about 10. Then, about 20 past, I hear the lovely voices of my parents ... just arriving. They changed their mind, and came after all. I thought I might get away with "being in bed" so I wouldn't have to go downstairs, but like a magnet, I was drawn. Had to see all the staples in that knee. We got to fiddling with pictures recently taken and chattering until seems like past 11:30, when everyone who was still up decided it was surely bedtime. Unfortunately for me, there were still plenty of dishes to do. I just couldn't leave ANY for Mom, this time. So, I did them! Morning came at it's usual 5:45 and I wanted to do better than I sometimes do, so once my priorities were in order, I moved on to assembling coffee, tea and a simple breakfast, keeping ahead of the morning dishes (drying by hand, since the drainer was filled to overflowing and I didn't have the energy to empty it, too). I threw a pork roast in the oven and was able to sit before everyone started to arrive. After meeting, and a lovely outdoor extension of the visit, we finished assembling a quick Sunday dinner of the pork roast, boxed stuffing, sauteed celery, onion & zuchinni and a bag of steamed mixed veggies. Seems like we whipped the dishes up and my folks headed home. THEN, I GOT TO TAKE A NAP! 2 hours. Hannah gently woke me with kisses and soothing "Mom" whispers to tell me that the camper was hooked up and we were getting ready to go. So, up I jumped (sorta) and packed a bag. Gathered some foodstuff, planning to pick up the rest on the way. Threw in the cast iron and we were off. We grabbed Subway sandwiches in Bromptonville, Canada ... easy, fun and a wee bit healthy. We arrived after most had already gone in for the night, but a couple were still up and around the campfire. Todd looked over the work to be done and then he and I leveled the camper. We had a peaceful time, with some guitar music around the fire and finally to bed (9:30 or 10, which was good). Slept through the night ... must have been the quiet and the cool air and two trips to the bathroom before bed! The plan was to fix "Mountain Man" breakfast for brunch. Glad I could sleep in till 6! The breakfast routine (we even got to sing a few French hymns after!) kept me busy until 10 (brunch was @ 9:30), at which time I had to run to Maxi's for some salad greens for lunch ... practice reading French and spending Canadian money. Back to the grounds to finish my cleanup and try to find ways to help. They had 47 on Saturday, and are quite ahead of schedule as far as prep work goes, so I was a tad bit bored and so filled the time, between little pick-up jobs, with more resting and my Sudoku book. Todd helped with the dining tent raising work. After a soup & salad lunch, I don't remember what I did, but I eventually returned to the camper and took a real nap, right through coffee break. We stayed for supper, too ... yummy trout, marinated in garlic and olive oil, then cooked on the campfire, and served with green salad, chicken/grape/cashew salad (that Ashley made ... yummy, too!), breads and rhubarb. A little more chatter around the fire and we had to head out ... about 7:30. An easy trip home, though we hated to go ... again! Now, I don't have a single picture to remember any of this by ... oh well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment