Wednesday, November 26

Another update, long overdue

My latest news is that 'Jazz' will be moving in very soon.

Let's see if I can re-cap the weekend ... that's some fun news to share.

We really filled up the hours! Ashley had an "Awake" fundraiser Friday night, so, I picked her up Saturday morning at about 7:15 and we drove to S. NH. We got there about 11:30 a.m. and watched the Gymkhana events till it was over.

(Ashley reminded me via a comment on this post that I forgot to include this next section, so I am editing it into the post, just to keep the story fluent. I was tired and quite distracted, when I was writing the original post, so I'm not surprised that I missed some things.)
Then, we helped get things picked up. There was still some afternoon left, so Heather had her girls bring some saddled horses into the arena and Ashley and Hannah got a little lesson and at least an hour of riding time. They were SO thrilled and having a ball! And, they did so well. Naturals, I think! A while later, Skyla, a pretty white horse came in with just a bridle and Heather had me climb on board. I took a turn around the ring, probably holding on too tight, as Skyla seemed confused about whether to walk or take off. Ashley had to try bareback riding, too, and did a whole lot better than me ... riding alone, without being led, after just one turn around the ring. When my bow-legged girls were reluctantly ready to dismount for the night, we helped get the rest of the barn chores done.

In the evening, after delivering a pony to her owner nearby, the bunch of us girls had a nice, tasty supper that Ashley and Megan fixed, and then, (end of inserted addition) we hung around the pellet stove playing with a passel of dogs: one collie, one Malamute, and six Cavalier King Charles spaniels. All the girls mosey'd off to bed and us parents stayed up way too late, talking.

In the morning, we got up and did barn chores first thing, then had breakfast and dashed off to meeting. After mtg, my girls and I were fortunate to be included in a family dinner ... 30 people! We dashed off from there, doing a chinese fire-drill car switcheroo. Back at the farm, we swapped the 2-horse trailer for the 4-horse trailer. The girls stayed at the house, while we went with the trailer to get 3 new horse boarders for the farm. We had a 3 o'clock appt to meet Jazz, but couldn't keep it. So, then planned for 3:30, but needed to get to Gospel Mtg by 4 p.m. It would have been a very quick visit. Well, at 3:15, Hannah calls for me and tells me she isn't feeling well and so, I can't go anywhere. I sent the rest of the folks off to GM, while I stayed with Hannah to nurse her through. When she seemed to be able to get out and about, again, I made arrangements for 5:30 to see Jazz, after GM. Then, she and I drove over to GM, and enjoyed the last half.

Now, we've got three vehicles in town, with two licensed drivers. What to do! We take a chance and plan to have Ashley drive the third car, and follow us over to where Jazz is. So, off we tear, again! Only now, when we turn onto the on-ramp, our lead vehicle pulls over and we wait for Ashley to pull in behind us. Only she doesn't show, and she doesn't show. Yikes!

I won't give all the details of the nerve-racking search I started to make, or of the cell phone minutes we used up, trying to coordinate ourselves and locate her. She had no money, no phone, no license and no right-rear tail light. You can imagine all the things that went through a mom's mind. After at least a hour of circling the possible routes, we stopped for a quick break and then, there she is. Phew!

So, now, another reschedule to see Jazz and, this time, we make it. She was in her stall for the night and was busy with her hay, almost a little annoyed that we would interfere. But, I can't blame her. She's a beauty. It's getting late, and we still have to get all the way home (3 1/2 hours away). Shared an easy-going supper break at Wendy's and finally headed north just before 8:00 p.m. An uneventful, though bleary-eyed trip ... we pulled in the yard about 11:15 p.m. and did little else besides carry our bags in and find our beds.

What a grand pile of memories!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha well mom, you left out a thing or 2...such as the riding horses for a good hour and a half...etc :D

but thats okay.
a pretty good recap.

loveyalots.

Jo said...

Wow! what a beauty Jazz is. She will bring much enjoyment to the girls (and hard work)
Happy Thanksgiving to you all, I wish I was there again this year :(
Take care
Jo :)